Grand Ring programme line-up announced. Over the two show-days there will be over 24 hours of jaw-dropping action in the prestigious Grand Ring featuring a host of exhilarating displays.
“We’re thrilled to announce our Grand Ring programme for the return of the Royal Norfolk Show!” says Mark Nicholas, Managing Director of the Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association. “We’ve been working extremely hard over the past 24 months to ensure that the Royal Norfolk Show returns in style with something for everyone to enjoy and be proud off!
“The Grand Ring and entire Norfolk Showground will therefore be packed with some of the country’s finest displays, activities, experiences, animals, performers, competitors and musicians you could imagine!”
Here’s what showgoers can expect in this year’s Grand Ring!
New for 2022
- The Royal salute – New for 2022 and the centrepiece to both days of the show will be the singing of the National Anthem by a thousand children and adults to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee. The choir will also sing songs from the commonwealth and from around the world as part of this special Royal Salute.
- Shetland Pony Derby – A high-speed dash, a blur of coloured silks, flying manes and tails and the roar of the crowd – all the excitement of a day at the races condensed down to Shetland Pony size! Blink and you’ll miss them, these pint-sized ponies and jockeys are fiercely competitive as they gallop over miniature steeplechase fences, just like their larger counterparts in the Grand National.
- Retraining of Racehorses Championship – Celebrating the versatility of our former racehorses, this Championship will bring together the finest selection of ex-racehorses demonstrating their new lives as show horses, following successful racing careers.
- Coaching Marathon Parade – Stepping back in time, coaching is a display of our rich and elegant history with the horse. Teams of four horses pull large carriages and will be judged on their performance and appearance.
Other Grand Ring highlights
Returning to the Grand Ring this year will also be the UK’s number one motorcycle display team, the UK’s premier military parachute display team and the International Show Jumping Stairway Grand Prix and much, much more. Here’s a run-down of some of the other highlights:
- Bolddog Lings Motorcycle Display Team – The UK’s number one motorcycle display team base their show around the world’s largest and most sophisticated mobile landing system and at times ‘flying’ a35ft in the air! The show features the UK’s top ranked freestyle motocross riders, incorporating the latest heart-stopping tricks as usually only seen on TV. The team set the standard 12 years ago and now continues to push the boundaries of FMX and lead the way for all motorcycle display teams.
- RAF Falcons – The UK’s premier military parachute display team from RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire will jump from up to 12,000ft into the Grand Ring to perform a breath-taking free fall display at speeds of up to 120mph.
- Equestrian Programme – and Horse of the Year Show Qualifier events
Throughout the two-days there is a stunning programme of professional horse riding and qualifying events including the exciting Ride & Drive, the prestigious International Stairway, heavy horse turnouts, scurry driving and more.
Grand Parade of Champion Livestock and Heavy Horses
As a salute to our farmers, exhibitors and their animals there will be a Grand Parade of award-winning and champion cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and horses!
A full programme of Grand Ring events can be found here